Thursday, November 30, 2017

Educating Kids and Enjoying Nature For America!!



The past two days have been pretty busy with lots of meetings and two field trips! The field trip on Tuesday was with a group of 5th graders from Oregon and yesterday's field trip was a visit to a nearby pre-school classroom. I lead a game of Oh Deer! with the 5th graders to explain carrying capacity and predator prey relationships and all of them seemed to really enjoy it. When it was time for the first group to switch and go inside to do an activity with the touch trunk, they were super bummed and said they wanted to stay outside with me! The second group was a bit more interesting as the group size was weirdly even to the point that no matter what I did to change the dynamics, there always ended up being a round where all of the resources were collected and became deer. Even when I introduced predators into the mix, there was a round where everyone ended up being a deer or a predator, which has NEVER happened before in the 3-4 years I've been playing this game. But, regardless of the weirdness, the kids all learned something, had fun and the teacher told me she really liked my activity and said I did a GREAT job leading it and teaching the kids!! Yay me!
The preschoolers really liked getting to see and touch some of the bio-facts from the touch trunk and learn about how animals stay warm in the winter! They were all so cute and little!!!
On an unrelated note, the frost situation here is getting pretty intense, but the sunrises are increasingly beautiful.     Also, I chased a herd of like 20 mule deer at the house after work yesterday. They let me get pretty close (even the big bucks) but as soon as one got uncomfortable, they all ran. My efforts to befriend the mule deer will continue.....
How Neat Is That?!



 






 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment