Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Cold Hands For America!!

 Today, I volunteered to go into the lake to collect water and algae samples for our watershed detectives programs next week. Little did I know, the wind would chop the lake so much that, while standing in about two inches of water, a wave would wash up and over the top of my boots.....After that point I was committed and just went in as far as I needed to go to collect the samples. Eventually I got to a point where the water level was up to my knees, so my boots were completely filled with water. Being that it was about 35 degrees with a wind chill of 29, I lost feeling in my arms up to my elbows and my toes eventually stopped feeling like they were on fire and became numb to everything.
All the stupid algae kept falling off the sticks as soon as I would touch it, but I finally collected enough for what we needed. I thought I had emptied most of the water from my boots, but when we got back to the refuge and I sat down to take them off, a huge puddle formed and my butt got wet.  Our field trip arrived earlier than anticipated, so I didn't have time to change.
It's always an adventure as Ranger Rhian!
How Neat Is That?!


No comments:

Post a Comment