Friday, November 3, 2017

Science Nights For America!!



Last night we were invited to host a booth at an elementary school's science night! We got to interact with over 160 people (kids and their families) and teach them a little bit about the Wildlife Refuge and some of the neat things we brought. Some of the kids had never seen a Raccoon or a Fox (or any of the animals relevant to the biofacts we brought) before, so they really enjoyed getting to touch the pelts and ask questions about the animals. [Several kids thought the Red Fox pelt was a squirrel......like, please show me where you have seen such ginormous squirrels]. We got a few kids interested in our Winter Day Camp this December as well, so hopefully they reach out and sign up soon!
I really enjoy this kind of outreach event because it allows you to talk one on one with kids and introduce some to aspects of the world they have never been exposed to! Exposure to nature is important at such a young age and it is what I love most about my current field. Having the opportunity to get people (of any age) interested in nature is one of the most rewarding aspects of my job, and I aspire to spread that interest in my everyday life- even outside of work. I can't wait to participate in more outreach events like this in the future!



How Neat Is That?!





No comments:

Post a Comment