Friday, January 18, 2019

Toughing It Out For The Fishies!


The second half of the week went well overall, but was a bit more rough than any other part of my two weeks here. Wednesday was just super cold, so we were bundled up the entire day on the steelhead bridge. Thursday, however, was a long one. It rained pretty much the entire day to the point where my Fish and Game jacket was soaked through by the end of the day. I volunteered to be with steelhead crew that day though, knowing what the weather would be like, so I suppose I did it to myself! Surprisingly enough, Friday turned out to be a pretty solid day weather wise! It was a nice temperature and actually was sunny there for a bit. 

The wacker pump setup




I got more experience operating and trouble shooting the wacker pumps while we were pumping the steelhead tailboxes on Wednesday- something I am definitely stoked to add to my resume. I also spent some more time with the Chinook in adult holding and up on the bank and learned how to sweep the raceways on the bank, which was incredibly time consuming. Then, on Friday, Caleb (one of the culturists here) took me up to the top of the dam to check on the platform and such that brings water to the hatchery. All in all, I'd say it was a pretty solid second week here at the hatchery! Still looking forward to improving and learning more each week!



No comments:

Post a Comment