Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Repping The Refuge For America!

Photo Credit: FWS
Today I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to meet with the Region One Director of the Fish and Wildlife Service! It was really neat to get the chance to showcase the work we are doing here, especially being such a small refuge relative to the region. With a permanent staff of only three people, there really aren't a lot of resources for us, so the presence of the AmeriCorps members (myself being one of them) each year truly is the only way that this refuge can do as much as it does. Without the support of the AmeriCorps members, there would be little to no educational opportunities for the community and coordinating volunteers would not come as easily as it presently does. I'm happy to be able to make such a difference in this position and to help the educational programs here at Deer Flat grow and thrive.
I always love getting to speak with people who have been working in this field for some time now and learning about their background and what they did to get to where they are now. She was more than willing to share with me the ins and outs of how she got to become the Region One Director for FWS on both a personal and professional level.
She commended my efforts in working with students (especially in the 4th grade SEEDS partnership) to inspire a "Rachel Carson like sense of wonder" in nature, which is exactly what the mission is- to connect these students (and anyone else) to nature and instill within them a sense of wonder and awe that will hopefully inspire them to continue to develop a love and appreciation for the environment.
Additionally, when she asked me about "my story" and I mentioned wanting to become a Park Ranger for BLM or NPS (and lead interpretive hikes and educational programs in that role) she asked why I left out FWS. To be honest, I hadn't really even considered FWS for the type of position I am looking for, but after her recommendation, I certainly will!
How Neat Is That?!

No comments:

Post a Comment